Museum Statement of Purpose and Mandate
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND MANDATE
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
To preserve the history of the area through collections and research, and to interpret it to the community, recognizing the museum’s responsibilities as a source of education, research, recreation, and human resources.
The mandate of the Jordan Historical Museum as defined by the Letters Patent, January 16th, 1953, states to following as the museum’s purpose and objectives:
- To establish and maintain an historical museum;
- To preserve the objects, archives, and oral tradition of the past;
- To promote an interest in, and the study of, material culture;
- To receive, acquire, and hold gifts, donations, legacies, and devises;
- To do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.
The museum, through the medium of the buildings and of the collection, shows the progression of the Town of Lincoln, with particular attention to the Twenty Mile Creek area from early pioneer settlement to established communities.