Frequently Asked Questions - Potential Candidates

Q How do I file nomination papers?

A. Nominations must be filed with the Town Clerk during regular office hours (8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) between May 1 - July 26, 2018 with the deadline for nominations to be filed Nomination Day, July 27, 2018, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.  A nomination paper must be filed in person by either the candidate or an agent of the candidate. In Lincoln, if a citizen is interested in filing their nomination papers they are requested to book an appointment in advance with the Election Coordinator by calling 905-563-8205 ext. 504 or email. Candidates must file the prescribed nomination form and at the time of filing, pay the nomination fee of $100 in cash, debit, Master Card or Visa, certified cheque, or money order. The nomination fee for the office of Mayor is $200. This filing fee will be refunded if the candidate is elected, withdraws the nomination, or receives more than 2% of the votes cast for that office.

Q. Where & how is the Voter’s List Provided?

A. On the written request of a certified candidate for an office, the Clerk shall provide him or her with the part of the Voters’ List that contains the names of the electors who are entitled to vote for that office. The Voters’ List will be an electronic copy.

Q. How do I know if I’m disqualified from holding office?

A. It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seek legal advice immediately. You will also be required to swear an oath of qualification when filing your nomination. If the candidate meets any of the following criteria they are NOT eligible to run for office:

  • any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality
  • an employee of a municipality who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence and resigned
  • a judge of any court
  • an MP, an MPP or a Senator
  • an inmate serving a sentence in a penal or correctional institution
  • Anyone who has ceased to be a Canadian Citizen
  • One who has violated the financial requirements for filing financial information
  • A Crown employee (see Candidates’ guide for more description)

Q. Do you have to live in the ward you’re running in?

A. You can run in any ward – you do not have to live in a ward in order to be its councillor. However, if you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself. Having a campaign office or a business in a ward where you would not be otherwise eligible to vote does not make you eligible to vote in that ward.

Q. What is the definition of residence?

A. In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 a person’s residence is “the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return”.

The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

  • A person may only have one residence at a time
  • The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place
  • If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger or to which he or she habitually returns.

Q. Do the tabulators keep a paper record?

A. Yes, the tabulators keep a record of the ballots. The ballots are counted as they are inserted into the machine and ballot box. The Town Clerk is required to keep the ballots for 120 days after the results of the election are declared.

Q. Have there been any changes to legislation since the last election?

A. There have been many changes to the Municipal Act. Following the last election, the Municipal Elections Act was reviewed by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs. As a result, changes have been made to the Act with amendments that will fully come into effect for the election in 2018.

There have been changes to:

  • The provisions to encourage compliance with finance rules
  • Third Party Advertising under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996
  • Third Party Advertiser Eligibility
  • Campaign Finance Rules and Third-Party Advertisers
  • Campaigning
  • Candidate Eligibility
  • Candidate Qualifications
  • Running as a Trustee
  • Disqualification of a Candidate
  • The changes are provided with more details in your 2018 Candidates’ Guide for Municipal and School Board Elections.

Q. How do I find out who else is running?

A. The Town of Lincoln will post the names of candidates online after the nomination period has ended and candidates will be provided with an official list of running candidates for Head of Council, Council and Trustees for the respective school boards.

Q. Are candidates required to provide a list of citizens supporting their nomination?

A. Yes, the nomination of a person for an office on a council must be endorsed by at least 25 persons, and they may endorse more than one nomination. Persons endorsing a nomination must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the municipality, if a regular election was held on the day that the person endorses the nomination.

Q. How do you determine which name goes on the ballot? (i.e. nicknames)

A. When you file your nomination papers there will be a section for you to write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name provided the Town Clerk agrees.


  • Your name is John Alexander William Smith
  • If you normally go by John Smith print: Smith, John on the nomination form
  • If you normally go by Alex Smith, and the Town Clerk agrees: print Smith, Alex on the nomination form
  • If you normally go by John Alexander, and the Town Clerk agrees: print Smith, John Alexander on the form

You do not have to provide all your names under Given Name(s) on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

Q. I filed my nomination papers; can I assume my name will be on the ballot?

A. No. The Town Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The Town Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and therefore an eligible elector.

It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact Corporate Services to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the Town Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the Town Clerk of their qualifications.

Q. How do I withdraw my nomination?

A. There is a Notice of Withdraw form that you will be required to complete at the Elections Office. This must be done before the close of nominations on July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.


For further information, please contact Town Hall and direct your inquiry to the Corporate Services Department 

Date modified: