Third-Party Advertising

Third Party Advertising 

The Municipal Elections Act, 1996 now includes rules for third party advertising.

A third party advertisement is:
  • An advertisement in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a candidate in the election, or a "yes" or "no" answer to a question on the ballot

A third party advertiser is:

  • Any individual, corporation or trade union that causes an election campaign advertisement to appear
  • Required to register with the City Clerk of the municipality where they want to advertise

A list of registered third party advertisers for Lincoln will be available on this site.

How to Become a Third Party Advertiser

To become a third party advertiser in the upcoming election, you, or your agent must:

  • Register with the Office of the Town Clerk, at Town Hall during regular business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Registration opens beginning May 1 to Oct. 19, 2018.
  • Until the Town Clerk certifies your registration, you may not spend money on your campaign, accept contributions or begin advertising.
  • If you want to advertise in more than one municipality, you must register in each municipality where you want to advertise. There is no fee to register.

Useful documents:

Notice of Registration - Third Party - Form 7 

Third Party Advertisers Guide
This guide provides information to those wishing to register as third party advertisers for the 2018 municipal council and school board elections. The information also applies to any by-elections that may be held during the 2018-2022 council and school board term.

This guide is not meant to replace provincial legislation. It provides general information about the rules contained in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and other legislation and regulations

For more information go to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing website


You are eligible to register as a third party advertiser if you are:

  • An individual who is normally a resident in Ontario
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario
  • You are not eligible to register as a third party advertiser if you are:
  • A candidate whose nomination has been filed under section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party
  • A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board


Date modified: