Civil Marriage Ceremonies
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
The Town of Lincoln offers civil ceremonies to couples who are looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony. The service lasts approximately 20 minutes.
Availability & Appointments Overview
- Civil Marriage Services are conducted by the Town Clerk or designate of Legislative Services
- Ceremonies are:
- By appointment only, based on availability of the Clerk
- Offered on Fridays of each month in Council Chambers at Town Hall (4800 South Service Road, Beamsville, ON, L0R 1B1)
- Couples interested in booking a civil marriage ceremony must:
- Submit a completed Civil Marriage Booking Questionnaire
- Pay the fee of $311 ($275.22 plus HST $35.78) in the form of cash, debit, or certified cheque
How to book
Couples interested in booking the mandatory consultation meeting and a civil marriage ceremony with the Clerk must come to Town Hall prepared with the following:
- A valid marriage licence
- One piece of current, valid photo identification for each person
- Availability for consultation and ceremony (both individuals must be present)
- Payment of $311 ($275.22 plus HST $35.78) for booking payable by cash, debit, or certified cheque. The fee includes applicable taxes and subject to change without notice.
- A completed Civil Marriage Ceremony Consultation Form
- If using personal vows, copies should be brought to the consultation meeting
Note: Cancellation fee - a non-refundable administration fee of $150.00 shall be retained by the Town should the scheduled civil ceremony be cancelled after the consultation
Choice of Vows
Written copies of personal vows should be provided at the mandatory consultation meeting with the Clerk. Couples may use the choice of vows below as they are or come prepared with suggestions.
Obtaining a Marriage Licence
Marriage licences can be obtained at Town Hall through Legislative Services prior to booking your civil ceremony
Visit the marriage licence page to find more information on obtaining a marriage licence
Note: Marriage license fees are non-refundable
The Town Clerk and/or designate will not formalize the marriage of any person if:
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
- One or both parties are currently married
- Couples fail to provide proof of payment, a valid marriage licence and government issued photo identification (i.e. drivers licence, passport etc.) on day of civil ceremony
- Any person who, based on what he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe, lacks mental capacity to marry by reason of being under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or for any other reason. Marriage Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.3 2006, c. 19, Sched. G, s. 4.
On the Civil Ceremony Day
- Ceremonies are held in the Council Chambers and friends and family are welcome to attend
- There is limited seating in the Council Chambers (maximum 50 guests), on-site parking is limited
Pictures and/or videos may be taken during the ceremony provided there is no disruption of the ceremony
No decorations, confetti, bubbles, rice, candles or incense are allowed in or on the ground of Town Hall in accordance with Town policies
No music will be provided by the Town during the ceremony however if you require music during the civil ceremony please discuss this at the consultation meeting
Applicants must bring the receipt of payment for the civil ceremony on the date of the service
Couples must provide two witnesses for their ceremony
Witnesses must be 18 years of age, or older and provide valid photo identification
A witness must be able to understand and appreciate what is taking place and give evidence of such at a later date, if required
Couples must also provide an interpreter if they do not speak English and/or require language assistance. The interpreter may not be one of the witnesses to the ceremony and will be required to sign a form confirming that he/she has interpreted the wedding ceremony.
The Clerk may cancel the ceremony if they feel that any of the parties to the marriage or any of the witnesses cannot understand the nature of the marriage contract
After the ceremony, the officiant forwards the marriage licence to the Province of Ontario to be registered. Couples will be given the Record of Solemnization of Marriage but this is not a legal record of the marriage. The Marriage certificate is the legal record of the marriage and must be ordered from the Province of Ontario on the ServiceOntario website.
- You can cancel your civil marriage appointment up to one week prior to the ceremony
- A non-refundable administration fee of $150 shall be retained should the scheduled civil ceremony be cancelled after the consultation
- Marriage license fees are non-refundable
- Couples who wish to celebrate and reaffirm their love and commitment for one another can renew their marriage vows.
- The cost to renew your vows is $52 (tax included) which includes a certificate commemorating your special day
- To schedule an appointment please call 905-563-2799
For more information or have questions, please email or call 905-563-2799.
- Date modified: