2022 Heritage Week Series
Welcome to Heritage Week 2022; where we celebrate heritage in all forms with diverse traditions and cultural expressions. The Town of #LincolnON Heritage Week series is brought to you by the Heritage Committee and will feature locations in our Town. To learn more about each feature please read below for information and unique attributes of the property.
Beam-Barnes House | 5053 King Street, Beamsville
The Crown initially granted the property on which Beam-Barnes House sat to Samuel Corwin in 1803. His wife was Anna Beam, daughter of Loyalist pioneer Jacob Beam. Her brother, Jacob Beam Jr., built the house between 1852 and 1855. It was sold to a carriage marker James D. Bennett in 1870 and then resold to his son-in-law William Fairbrother in 1895. Mr. Fairbrother was a goaltender for the Beamsville Senior Hockey Team and is credited with using the first hockey nets in Canada!
Notable features include sharply pitched gabled roofs and carved finials and cutout quatrefoils worked into the bargeboard, widely framed windows surrounded with shaped lintels and decorative keystones, and details in the woodwork throughout the interior.
Beamsville District Secondary School | 4317 Central Avenue, Beamsville
Located in the heart of Beamsville, the property comprises heritage buildings, including the original 1917 building and the Annex (Wing 1) built-in 1924 and additions toto these buildings, built-in 1956 and 1969 Wings 2 3 built-in 1958 and 1963.
Beamsville District Secondary School has been the only high school in Lincoln since 1888 and was initially located on King and William Street. In 1895, the Ontario Department of Education selected Beamsville as the centre of training for its Normal or Model School program, designed to prepare future teachers. In 1912, the small high school could not keep up with enrollment, and an addition was built. This addition would include a community hall/gymnasium capable of seating 700 people, making it the largest community hall for several years.
Beamsville District Secondary School would be used for political rallies, local entertainment, and other social functions. Beamsville District Secondary School has changed with the community’s needs throughout the years, creating a closer bond between the community and the school.
Notable features include the staircase and imposing columns at the front of the buildings, a flat roof with four decorative elements complimenting the columns skyward, and the brick front façade. The building materials of the original structure are noteworthy, as the stone and brick were obtained locally.
Woodburn Cottage | 4918 King Street, Beamsville
Crown Patent originally deeded the property on which Woodburn Cottage sat to James Beam in 1801. The house was built c.1834 for James B. Osborne, a merchant, postmaster and private banker who immigrated from Ayrshire, Scotland. The name “Woodburn” is derived from James B. Osborne’s second wife’s family. The house remained in the family until 1979, where in recent years, the Woodburn Cottage has spent time as an assisted living facility for seniors and bed and breakfast.
The house is a Regency Cottage, with many features from James B. Osbornes Scottish roots, and is believed to be the first brick home in the village. Notable features include a double-door with sidelights and a signature fan transom house in an arched brick surround, large shuttered windows, corbeled chimneys on each corner of the roof, cornice mouldings and wide baseboards throughout the interior.
Bucknall Barn | 4113 Fly Road, Campden
The property on which Bucknall Barn sits was originally part of the first land grant to members of Butler’s Rangers. The “saltbox style” barn was built c.1840 and rested on an 18-inch thick fieldstone foundation laid with mortar. The barn’s overall size is approx. 63x54 feet inclusive of a 6-foot forebay on the east side. It is 40 feet tall and has three floors.
The ground floor has two 13-inch square ceiling girders running north-south resting in the stone foundation, each supported by five 5-inch honest guide posts resting on fieldstones. Large wood sills rest atop the foundation. The beams are chiselled out of mortise and tenons, and the braces are kept secure with trunnels (tree nails!).
A unique feature of Bucknall Barn is a swing beam on the barn’s interior, used for hosting hay into the loft. The swing beam is 31 feet long and graduates from 16 - 20 inches in the middle to 14 inches at the end. Once the horses have pulled the wagons of hay into the barn, they are unhitched and moved singularly to the back of the wagon. When the beams have been placed, the horses with traces and double trees are hooked to the ratchet. They then move down the ramp pulling the rack lifter, which raises the wagon to facilitate unloading of the hay. Upon completion, the whole process is reversed to enable the horses to back the empty wagon out of the barn.
Other notable features include Pennsylvania-type wrought iron latches with hinges and rose head nails, dutch doors, 3-over-3 pane windows, and have all have had a patina of worn red paint.
Jordan House | 3751 Main Street, Jordan Station
Jordan House has been the longest servicing licensed hotel in the Town of Lincoln. First established in 1842 by John Spence, this inn was designed to provide the basics of food, water and shelter as travellers passed through the Niagara Peninsula on the Iroquois Trail.
Food and drink were provided at the front of the building on the main floor, while at the back, there was a stable. On the second floor, nine rooms could be rented for the night. Inns such as this were the “service centres” of our early superhighways!
Jordan House has served many functions. The first housekeeper, John Spence, a military man, convened the Vigilante Society here to control horse and cattle theft. Later, Louth Council held their meetings here. Before Confederation, it was used as a militia recruitment centre. For a time, the base was used for Catholic Church services. During the Civil War era, the inn was part of the Underground Railway. However, there is a debate that the inn’s tunnels may have been used to hide runaway slaves or smuggle alcohol into the tavern from adjacent buildings during the prohibition.
The Jordan House has seen many owners, some making changes to the building. The tavern-restaurant portion has been rebuilt using original wood beams and materials from the demolition to restore its old-time character and ambiance of an earlier time.
Culp Barn | 3227 Culp Road, Vineland
The timber-frame Culp Barn was constructed around 1852 by Isaac Culp for farmer John Kratz, a fellow member of the Pennsylvania German Mennonites. The latter had settled the area around Jordan Harbour since the late 18th century. It is situated on the north side of Culp Road, west of its intersection with 23rd Street. The Town recognized its heritage value under section IV of the Ontario Heritage Act in 1990 and referenced the structure’s heritage, architectural, and historical significance.
The Crowe-May House | 2044 King Street, Jordan
The Crowe-May House originally sat on 100 acres of land granted by the Crown to John Seager in 1798. The house itself was built around 1860 by John David Crowe, who served as Reeve for Louth Township between 1877 and 1878. The property was willed to his son, David Crowe, who further su, divided it at his passing. In the early 1900s, the house was sold to the Badgley family and Walter and Irene Schwenker in 1930.
The house was built in the late-Georgian style, with a Flemish bond (lower level) and 6th-course headers (upper level). These differences suggest that the home was originally built as one storey, with the second storey added later. Evidence also suggests a front porch (with a bell-type roof). There is a summer kitchen in a south wing in the back of the home.
The interior features a central foyer, front parlour, and a dining room with pine floors and doors throughout. A curved wall houses a maple and cherrywood curved staircase with turned balusters, carved stringer decorations, and an octagonal newel-post base. The east parlour is unusual interior window casings of fluted and grained pine with panelled floors. The upstairs features grained wood doors and a walk-up attic.
Mennonite Burying Ground | Vineland Cemetery, Vineland
Following the American Revolutionary War of 1776-1783, many Eastern Pennsylvanian Mennonites, who felt persecuted for their beliefs or loyalty to the Crown, sought refuge in the newly created Upper Canada (now Ontario). As early as 1786, prospects arrived in Lincoln searching for possible settlement locations.
The Mennonite Burying Ground is believed to have begun with its first burial in 1798, with more tombs following in the early 1800s, all bearing names of the original settlers, each of them carved or etched into marble headstones.
The unique stone wall surrounding the original burying ground was built in 1833 by architectural contract Newton Perry for 90 silver dollars. Utilizing local quarried uncoursed ledge rock limestone, the wall was topped with wooden sheathing and covered with sheet iron in turn.
In 1915, Moses F. Rittenhouse, a Vineland native and grandson of one of the original pioneers, donated land to expand the cemetery and created a trust fund to maintain the property perpetually. Mr. Rittenhouse was buried in the family plot in the new section of the cemetery, marked by an oblong headstone set on a two-tiered plinth, and features a rusticated frame with decorated eared architraves, ornamental fretting etched within its perimeter, and the name “Rittenhouse” carved in capital roman letters.
Farr Cottage | 3799 Main Street, Jordan
This Regency-style cottage was built c. 1840. The original building was almost square in plan, and the interior wooden flooring suggests it had a small front living room, two bedrooms and a kitchen/work area. The exterior featured a hipped roof adorned with a wooden fretwork fascia, tall windows and a front door framed with sidelights. Over the years, additions connected the cottage to its root cellar.
Salmon B. Farr, a tailor, was one of the property's first owners, serving as the home and workplace for a shoemaker, doctors, a beekeeper, a barber, two potters, and artisans.
Arriving in 1903, Dr. Arthur H. Addy served the Jordan area for 44 years, using the Farr Cottage as a medical dispensary, mixing his ingredients. Dr. Addy delivered over 3,000 babies and covered countless miles making home visits. These visits were arranged via telephone at the Snure General Store. Dr. Addy was paid in cash or farm produce such as eggs, butter, potatoes, or a load of hay.
From 1955-to 1992, Tessa Kidick operated the ‘Emporium of Pottery’ in the Farr Cottage. Before this, Ms. Kidick served with the Women’s Royal Naval Service as a telegraph operator during the Second World War. Afterwards, she was one of five women to attend the Ontario College of Art. When Ms. Kidick purchased Farr Cottage, she was an internationally renowned potter specializing in stoneware pottery.
Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church and Campden Public School | 4170 Fly Road, Campden
By 1876, Campden, known initially as Moyer’s Corners, was a small, nearly self-sufficient community of approximately 150-habitants. The Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church and Campden Public School are two of the lasting landmarks of Moyer’s Corners and continue to mark the eastern entrance of Campden, contributing to the unique character of the community.
Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church, built-in 1872, is a one-story brick building with a broad gable roof and a basement foundation made from local limestone. It features gothic arched stain glass windows and brickwork detailing below the roofline and above each window.
Campden Public School, built-in 1875 at the School Section No. 6 Trustees, was known to represent a high standard in school construction. It was a large school for its time and exceeded many of the prevailing 19th-century provincial requirements. Notable features include gingerbread trim, decorated brackets, two chimneys and an elaborate belfry.
- Date modified: