Public Notice - Intention to Designate a Heritage Property
Notice of Intention to Designate
Former Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church, 4170 Fly Rd., Campden
TAKE NOTICE that Council of the Corporation of the Town of Lincoln intends to designate the following property under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act:
FORMER CAMPDEN TRINITY EVANGELICAL UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH
4170 FLY ROAD
THE REASON for the proposed designation is to recognize the cultural heritage value or interest of the 1871-1872 church building. The building meets Ontario Regulation 9/06, the provincial criteria prescribed for municipal designation under all three categories of design, associative and contextual value.
The former Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church (A red-brick church, built 1871-1872) is located in the settlement of Campden in the Town of Lincoln, on a property municipally known as 4170 Fly Road, Campden, with frontage along the south side of Fly Road, a side flankage on University Street to the east and a southern, rear boundary along Linden Street. The property is comprised of part of Lot 18, Plan M13, in the former Township of Clinton.
The former Campden Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church is the second Evangelical United Brethren place of worship to be built in the community of Campden and the first to occupy this location in the community of Campden (formerly Moyer’s Corners). Campden Church served the community at this location from 1872 until 2006. Following intermittent use by others as a place of worship, the Church was converted to residential accommodation in 2016 and still functions as such to the present day.
The church was constructed at the direction of the Evangelical United Brethren Board of Church Trustees whose members were Samuel Fry, Jacob Moyer and Abraham Moyer. Likely constructed by local craftsmen, the place of worship was built to a simple, symmetrical, rectilinear plan with a prominent front gable. The church comprised a symmetrical front façade constructed of red brick set on a stone foundation. The front (north) façade comprised three symmetrically placed bays containing Gothic Revival inspired lancet windows and front entrance way opening. The east and west side façades also featured three bays containing paired lancet windows. Brickwork was laid in a running or stretcher bond on the front façade and in a variation of the Flemish bond at the sides. The church is of vernacular construction and influenced by the Gothic Revival style notably in decorative lancet windows and central doorway.
The former Evangelical United Brethren Church serves as both a local landmark marking the eastern entrance to Campden as well as a building that is linked to its surroundings and contributes to area character in the use of materials, height and building form.
ANY PERSON may within thirty (30) days of the publication of this notice, send by registered mail or deliver to the Clerk of The Corporation of the Town of Lincoln his or her objection to the proposed designation, together with a statement of the reasons for the objection and all relevant facts. If a Notice of Objection is received, the Council of The Corporation of the Town of Lincoln will refer the matter to the Conservation Review Board for a hearing and report.
Posted on March 8, 2018.
FURTHER INFORMATION respecting the proposed designation is available from the municipality by contacting Monika Cocchiara, Senior Policy and Development Planner at 905-563-2799 ext. 270 or by email.
Gary Dal Bianco, Deputy Clerk
Town of Lincoln
4800 South Service Road, Beamsville ON L0R 1B1
- Date modified: