Public Notice - Notice of Intention to Pass a By-law - Beamsville BIA Expansion
Notice of intention to pass a by-law to expand the boundaries of the Downtown Business Improvement Area
In accordance with Section 209 of the Municipal Act 2001, the Downtown Business Improvement Area Board of Management has requested that the Council of The Corporation of the Town of Lincoln consider the adoption of a by-law which would expand the boundaries of the Beamsville Downtown Business Improvement Area (“BIA”).
A BIA is established by municipalities to oversee the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally owned land, buildings and structures in the area beyond that provided by the municipality and to promote the area as a business or shopping area. These BIA initiatives are financed through a special levy, which is applied to all property owners in the area who can choose to pass the cost on to the business tenants.
A by-law to expand the boundaries will not be passed if:
- Written objections are received by the Town Clerk by Dec. 1, 2018;
- The objections have been signed by at least one-third of the total number of persons entitled to receive notice; and
- The objectors are responsible for at least one-third of the taxes levied for the purposes of the general local municipality levy on rateable property in all prescribed business property classes (industrial and commercial properties) in the new improvement area.
If the by-law is passed, the revised boundary will be effective early 2019 (date to be determined at a scheduled Council meeting in January 2019).
You are entitled to submit an objection to the proposed expansion if you are an owner of an industrial or commercial property in the current and proposed expanded BIA area or if you are a tenant that is required to pay a share of taxes that the owner is required to pay. Landlords of commercial or industrial properties (business operations) are required by law to provide this notice to their tenants.
Objections to the proposed boundary expansion of the Beamsville Downtown BIA must be forwarded in writing or email to the Town Clerk no later than Dec. 1, 2018, at:
Julie Kirkelos, Town Clerk
Town of Lincoln
4800 South Service Rd.,
Beamsville, ON L0R 1B1
Please include the following information:
- Address of Property
- Roll Number
- Property Owner Name:
- Contact Name:
- Name of Business
- Identify if you are the owner or tenant
- If you are required to pay property tax, provide annual amount
For more information, contact Julie Kirkelos, Town Clerk, via email or by phone at 905-563-2799 ext. 225.
Notice to landlords:
Landlords of commercial or industrial properties (business operations) are required by law to provide this notice to their tenants.
Section 210 of the Municipal Act requires that every owner of commercial or industrial property who receives this notice shall, within 30 days after the notice was mailed:
- Give a copy of the notice to each tenant of the property to which the notice relates who is required to pay all or part of the taxes on the property; and
- Give the Town Clerk a list of every tenant who is required to pay all or part of the taxes on the property and include the share of the taxes that each tenant is required to pay.
These requirements must be met by all landlords of commercial and industrial properties receiving this notice, no later than Nov. 1, 2018.
Further information regarding this matter may be obtained by calling the Town Clerk’s department at 905-563-2799 ext. 225.
More information is available on the Beamsville Downtown BIA website.
Submitted to the Town of Lincoln on October 2, 2018.
- Date modified: