Public Notice - Face Covering By-law comes into effect July 31 at 12:01 a.m.
Public Notice – Face Covering By-law comes into effect July 31 at 12:01 a.m.
Lincoln ON - (July 29, 2020) - On Thursday, July 23, Niagara Regional Council passed a temporary face covering by-law (By-law 2020-46) to require residents to wear mandatory face coverings in enclosed public places, and on Regional and Municipal transit during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The by-law comes into effect at 12:01 a.m. on July 31, 2020 and will remain in effect until Oct. 1, 2020 unless extended by Regional Council.
This by-law is to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in indoor public spaces as more businesses and services begin to reopen.
The by-law applies to the following enclosed indoor places:
- Retail stores where goods and services are sold to customers
- Businesses that primarily sell food including restaurants
- Supermarkets, grocery stores, bakeries and convenience stores
- Churches, mosques, temples, synagogues and other places of worship, except during a religious rite or ceremony that is incompatible with the face being covered
- Shopping malls or similar structures which contain multiple places of business
- Lobby areas of commercial buildings
- Common areas of hotels and motels and other short term accommodations, such as lobbies, elevators, meeting rooms or other common use facilities but does not include the common areas of residential apartment buildings or condominiums
- Concert venues, theatres and cinemas
- Fitness centres, gyms, other recreational and sports facilities and clubhouses
- Arcades and other amusement facilities
- Premises utilized as an open house, presentation centres or other facility for real estate purposes
- Museums, galleries, historic sites and similar attractions
- Businesses providing personal care services
- Banquet halls, convention centres, arenas, stadiums and other event spaces
- Public transit operated by Niagara Region and local area municipalities
- Municipal buildings
To learn more please visit the Niagara Region’s website which includes the following information:
- Face covering exemptions
- Information for businesses and residents
- Date modified: