Media Release - The Town of Lincoln celebrates the heritage designation of Moyer-Moroz House and interpretive plaque unveiling at Farr Cottage
Lincoln, ON – (September 17, 2021) – The Town of Lincoln, with the collaboration of the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, has proudly designated the Moyer-Moroz House, located at 4105 Fly Road, in addition, a heritage interpretive plaque was unveiled at Farr Cottage, located at 3799 Main Street. The heritage ceremonies were held on September 9, 2021, at each location.
Properties can be designated individually under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, or as part of a larger area under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act. Heritage designations recognize the importance of property, protect the property’s cultural heritage property, encourage good stewardship and conversation, and promote knowledge and understanding about the property.
Heritage interpretive plaques invigorate a community’s history, sharing stories of the people, places and events that have helped to shape the community. They enrich our sense of place and introduce newcomers and visitors to the unique character of regions, communities, and Nations across Ontario.
“Celebrating heritage in Lincoln inspires us to build the most vibrant, livable community possible,” said Town of Lincoln Mayor Sandra Easton. “Heritage designations are an opportunity to learn more about the history in our town and they always leave me in awe of Lincoln’s strong and impactful roots.”
“Heritage designations are also a means of revitalizing neighbourhoods and properties,” said the Town’s CAO Michael Kirkopoulos. “More than ever, we are taking heritage as an important part of our revitalization and ensuring we preserve our history. Such designations help create focal points that are to be protected and enjoyed by all community members and visitors.”
“I am proud of the continued support and advocacy of our community and leadership of the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee for the continued commitment to heritage designation in the Town of Lincoln,” said Michael Seaman, Chair of the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee. “The recent designation contributes to civic identity and community pride by creating awareness about the importance of preserving our local heritage.”
By designating a property under the Ontario Heritage Act, properties are evaluated for designation or inclusion on the municipal heritage register using a set of criteria that measures architectural, contextual, and historical significance. For more information, please visit lincoln.ca/heritage
About Moyer-Moroz House
This property was part of a military grant made to Benjamin Doyle in 1801 for his military service during the American Revolution. Doyle joined the Butler’s Rangers and came to Niagara in 1778. The land was sold to permanent settlers, the majority of whom were Mennonite or Pennsylvania Dutch farmers and businessmen. Among these were Amos Albright and Abram Moyer who left Pennsylvania in 1799. The Tremaine Map of 1862 shows that the land and the land on which the original bank barn is located was owned by John Moyer, son of Abraham and Barbara Moyer. Moyer may well have inherited the land from Abram who purchased it in 1799. The farm, including the property next door which contains the original bank barn, constructed circa 1840, was acquired by the Bucknall family in the 1970s. Although the barn and adjacent land are still owned by the Bucknalls, this property was severed from the lands containing the original barn. This house was built circa 1830s and is representative of an early style Pennsylvania Dutch architecture re-interpreted by the first settlers in Campden. The house may be one of the earliest buildings in the community and is associated with the Moyer family, the most numerous permanent settlers in the Campden area, hence why Campden was called Moyer’s Corners until the 1850s.
About Farr Cottage
This Regency-style cottage was built circa 1840. Salmon B. Farr was one of the first owners. This building has served as the home and workplace for a shoemaker, doctors, a beekeeper, a barber, two potters and artisans. Two owners made significant contributions to the area. Dr. Arthur H. Addy served the area for 44 years arriving in 1903 and delivered more than 3,000 babies during his career and Tessa Kidick operated the “Emporium of Pottery” in the cottage from 1955 to 1992. By the time she purchased the building, she was an internationally renowned potter.
The building is currently home to the Fibre Garden, where spinners and knitters Alan McLean and John Valleau hand-dyed yarns and fibres. The shop carries a wide range of spinning fibres, including an outstanding selection of breed-specific wool rovings. You’ll always see Mabel, the dog, around as the official greeter to visitors.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Town of Lincoln:
Manager of Corporate Communications
Direct: 905-563-2799 ext. 230
- Date modified: