Media Release: 2022 Town of Lincoln Budget approved at local increase well below inflation rate

Media Release: 2022 Town of Lincoln Budget approved at local increase well below inflation rate

 

Lincoln, ON – (November 16, 2021) – On November 10, the Town of Lincoln’s Budget – Committee of the Whole (COW) approved the 2022 Budget, which reflects a balance of investing in our community to support our citizens and businesses, while continuing to provide the high-quality services and programming that our community has come to enjoy. The Budget was ratified by Town of Lincoln Council at its meeting on November 15.

The budget represents a 2.68% increase on the Town’s portion of the tax bill, below the current inflation rate of 4.4%. The increase is further broken down to an increase of 2.18% towards Municipal services including all Town departments and Lincoln Public Library, plus a special infrastructure levy of 0.5%, totalling 2.68%.   

“The Town of Lincoln continues to demonstrate leadership in Niagara and resilience in addressing the financial and operational challenges resulting from COVID-19,” said Town of Lincoln Mayor Sandra Easton. “While there is still a certain level of economic unpredictability throughout the world, the Town is well positioned to forge ahead on our path to building a community in which residents and businesses alike can grow and prosper.”

“I would like to thank staff and fellow members of Council for making the budget process seamless. Special thanks to members of the public who participated through our Speak Up Lincoln page and other public engagement opportunities to help us make decisions that reflect community needs,” said Lynn Timmers, Chair of Budget – COW and Ward 4 Councillor. “The 2022 Budget demonstrates fiscal responsibility on the part of the Town through efficient use of tax dollars and saving for future needs.”

“Investment in our 2022 Budget remains at a level that supports important community infrastructure projects and dedicates the necessary resources to advance them,” said the Town’s CAO Michael Kirkopoulos. “Town staff, through Council’s leadership, understand that it is critical for Lincoln to deliver value for money and next year’s budget is our plan to do just that, while keeping the local tax rate well below the inflation rate.”

Below are some key figures from the 2022 Town of Lincoln Budget:

  • The 2022 Capital budget of $32.3 million represents an investment in new & improved infrastructure.
  • The Operating budget of $24.7 million covers the daily costs of running Town services.
  • Council approved an overall increase of 2.68% on the Town’s portion of the tax rate:
    • 0% capital,
    • 2.2% operating, and
    • 0.5% money in the bank.
  • The tentative blended rate impact on the total 2022 tax bill is 3.12%, pending approvals by the Region of Niagara of their levy portion and by the Province of Ontario for the local school board rate.

Visit SpeakUpLincoln.ca/Budget-2022 to learn more about the Town of Lincoln’s 2022 Budget, including details about projects in 2022, information on the budget process and tax dollar distribution by service area.

-30-

For media inquiries, please contact:

Liliana Busnello

Manager of Corporate Communications

Town of Lincoln

Direct: 905-563-2799 ext. 230

lbusnello@lincoln.ca

 

Date modified: