Understanding Property Assessments
Property Assessments are:
- The monetary value placed on all property, land and buildings
- Assigned by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)
- Assessed, in Ontario, based on its current value, determined on a date specified in the Assessment Act
About MPAC and the assessment process
MPAC’s website provides information about the most recent 2016 assessment. MPAC mails a Property Assessment Notice to property owners in Ontario every four years. The Notice you received in 2016 is MPAC’s assessed value of your property as of January 1, 2016.
The assessed value and classification of your property is used as the basis for calculating your property taxes. To help provide an additional level of property tax stability and predictability, the Ontario Government has introduced a phase-in program for market increases and decreases. An increase in assessed value is introduced gradually, while a decrease in assessed value is introduced immediately.
MPAC encourages property owners to log on to aboutmyproperty.ca to learn more about how your property was assessed, and to see the information MPAC has on file and compare it to others in your neighbourhood.
Additionally, if you are interested in seeing the overall impact across Lincoln for residential properties, take a look at the map of Lincoln showing:
- Percentage change by area from 2016-17
- Number of properties in the area and the percent change for all residential, single family and condominiums
MPAC assessment of your property may have increased. See the table below provided by MPAC as an example of the phased-in four-year approach:
- The Town of Lincoln does not have jurisdiction over property assessments
- Residents with concern over their assessment should contact MPAC directly at their:
- Customer Contact Centre Toll Free 1 866 296-MPAC (6722), TTY 1 877 889-MPAC (6722), Monday to Friday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST
- online form
- If you wish to appeal your assessment to MPAC, the last date to do so is March 31 of each year
- Date modified: